Tired of the same old gym routine? Think outside the box and step inside the ring at Sweet Science Boxing Gym, open now and located right on the water in historic Fells Point.
Sweet Science was created by father-daughter duo Jasmina and Coach Dave who together have more than 30 years of experience in the fitness industry. While the gym’s main focus is on training fighters and teaching group fitness classes, it also offers personal training, nutrition counseling, yoga, and monthly meditation and stretching classes. The workouts are designed to be intense, sweaty, tear-inducing—but most of all fun.
Need another reason? Here are five major health benefits of boxing that make it an effective and unique workout:
- Full Body Workout: Boxing isn't just an upper body workout. Knowing how to move your lower body puts power behind your punches, so having strong legs and a tight core are essential.
- Fun Cardio: Needing to go 12 rounds means that boxers are the most well conditioned athletes in the world. Jumping rope, high knees, and jump squats (not to mention hitting the heavy bag and mitts) all make for an intense, calorie-blasting, heart healthy workout that is far superior to the usual run around the neighborhood.
- Improved Hand-Eye Coordination: Many of us have jobs that involve lots of sitting and staring at a computer screen, which can be detrimental to your vision. Whether you’re hitting the double end bag, mitts, sparring, or the ever-popular speed bag, boxing helps develop hand eye coordination, faster reflexes, and other fine motor skills that would otherwise deteriorate with age.
- Self Defense: How many people know what to do if they should ever find themselves in a dangerous situation? Boxing helps prepare you for those "what if" scenarios.
- Stress/Anxiety Relief: Far too often, we bottle up normal emotions (anger, frustration, sadness) and feel overwhelmed with the weight of the world. Our boxing studio is the perfect place to let out the day's frustrations. After an intense workout on the heavy bag, your body releases mood-boosting endorphins that will help you feel a sense of accomplishment and relief.
At Sweet Science you'll gain a family that not only wants you to reach your fitness goals, but also wants to give you the confidence you need to achieve all of your dreams.