Fact Checker/Proofreader/Copy Editor
Are you an eagle-eyed editor who wields your red pen like a surgeon’s scalpel? Can you recite your AP and New York Times stylebooks like the Pledge of Allegiance? Can you proofread copy speedily without sacrificing accuracy and thoroughness? Are you interested in the minutiae of information? If so, we want to hear from you!
Baltimore magazine, the region’s premier lifestyle publication, has an opening for a junior editor who can handle both fact checking (60%) and proofreading/copy editing (40%) duties for the organization. The ideal candidate will have at least one year of experience with fact checking and proofreading/copy editing at a print or online publication. We’re looking for someone highly organized and motivated, who is a stickler for detail.
Under the supervision of the Associate Editor and others, the Fact Checker/Proofreader/Copy Editor will be responsible for ensuring completion of all fact checking for all editorial content each month, including long-form articles, service packages, event blurbs, and online-only features. This position will be expected to perform some of the fact checking him/herself—especially for longer reported pieces. Other shorter, lighter pieces can be assigned to interns, who the Fact Checker/Proofreader/Copy Editor will help manage. In addition to the monthly magazine, the position will perform the same duties for the magazine’s award-winning bridal publication, Baltimore Bride.
He/she will also proofread all editorial content for spelling, grammar, and style, and sign off on all electronic proofs before publication. He/she must feel comfortable inputting changes in In Design and In Copy and be willing to work closely with the design staff and editors to ensure that each issue is “put to bed” in a timely manner.
This is a full-time position with benefits. You will be working out of our newly renovated offices in Harbor East.
Serious candidates only, send resume and cover letter with salary requirement to Senior Editor Amy Mulvihill at [email protected].
- Perform and/or assign fact checking using industry best practices
- Work closely with Associate Editor to assign editorial interns to assist in fact checking
- Work with editors and writers to implement fact-checking changes in copy
- Curate and manage Baltimore magazine archives
- Copy edit/proofread all editorial content for spelling, grammar, and style in layout
- Approve electronic proofs of magazine
- Curate magazine’s in-house style guide
Education, experience, and skills required :
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or a related field
- Command of AP and New York Times styles, grammar, and spelling
- Experience fact checking editorial copy to industry standards (1-3 years experience preferred)
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite programs, especially In Design, In Copy, and Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.), as well as Internet browsers, content management systems, and social media
- Strong organizational and time management skills with an ability to juggle multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Excellent editorial judgment
- Ability and willingness to stick with a task or project until completion
Department: Business Operations
Baltimore Magazine is currently looking for a Finance Manager to join their team. The ideal candidate will have experience working in a highly dynamic and collaborative environment, as well as the ability to communicate effectively with management. Email cover letter and resume to [email protected].
- Prepare, review, and analyze monthly financial statements. Schedule monthly meetings with department heads to review variances, trends, and any departmental concerns.
- Review and approve all ledger account reconciliation including bank statements, credit cards, fixed assets, and daily cash deposits.
- Work closely with the Director of Finance to prepare budgets and maintain spending controls to ensure budgetary limitations are met.
- Identify, investigate, analyze, and communicate the risks and opportunities impacting the business.
- Review and approve Invoices for payment.
- Manage Advertiser Accounts Receivable to ensure payment within credit terms.
- Manage the preparation and submission of the monthly Sales and Use tax report as well as the Admissions and Amusement tax report.
- Manage bonus and commission payment calculations for the Advertising team.
- Oversee management of the Office Manager.
- Identify and implement process improvements and additional reporting as requested.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education, experience, and skills required :
- 2-3 years Finance/Accounting experience
- Experience must include monthly accounting close process, including journal entries and reconciliations
- Strong Excel skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to interact with management
- Ability to work independently on multiple assignments in a fast paced, deadline oriented environment.
- Excellent analytical skills and detail oriented with strong problem solving skills and follow through.
- Quick learner
- Team player
Integrated Advertising Executive
Baltimore magazine is seeking a motivated Integrated Advertising Executive to join the advertising sales team and grow new business across the print, digital and event sponsorship channels within the flagship magazine and Baltimore Bride. Responsibilities for this position include meeting individual sales goals, actively prospecting for and developing new business, and creating multi-platform integrated programs for advertisers. We are looking for someone who is ambitious, organized, self-motivated, and self-directed. The ideal candidate must have excellent communication skills and able to thrive in a high volume, fast-paced and team-oriented environment. Compensation package includes salary plus commission and company benefits. This position will report directly to the Director of Integrated Advertising and Sponsorships. Email cover letter (including compensation requirements) and resume to [email protected].
What you’ll be doing:
- Creating and presenting clients with customized, multi-platform marketing plans including print, digital and event sponsorship solutions.
- Identifying new sales opportunities and building strong relationships using a consultative approach.
- Meeting and exceeding monthly sales goals.
- Cold calling, prospecting and retaining new advertisers.
- Effectively communicating with and understanding the needs/marketing objectives of clients both large and small.
- Build positive and strong relationships with advertisers as well as decision makers through networking within the community to ensure a consistently strong representation of the brand.
- Proactively responding to requests for advertising and marketing proposals, distributing advertising information and gathering advertising assets.
- Executing and communicating weekly sales reporting.
- Analyzing and understanding the competitive marketplace and digital advertising trends.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Previous sales experience in online and/or print required
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Results driven with a desire to work in a fast paced and team-oriented environment
- Positive attitude, ambition, organizational skills and self-motivation
- Bachelor’s degree
- A passion for print, sponsorship and digital advertising trends
- Cold calling & negotiation skills
- High competency in MS office, particularly PowerPoint and Excel
Please make sure to specify which intern period(s) you are applying for (Spring, Summer, or Fall). Editorial internship applicants should also include a brief cover letter and at least two writing samples in addition to a resume.
Please note: Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to notify everyone of their application status. We do, however, examine every application, and if you are being considered, we will contact you.
Send your resume to:
c/o [appropriate contact listed above]
1000 Lancaster St., Suite 400
Baltimore, Maryland 21202